A versatile restaurant-style pork that freezes beautifully and can be used in salads, tacos, burritos, tostadas, or quesadillas. Your fiesta night will never be the same!
Ingredients for the pork:
2 lbs of pork (You can use boneless pork ribs, pork chops, pork roast, pork butt, or pork shoulder)
4 cans of Coca-Cola (Do not use diet)
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1 tsp of garlic salt
1/4 c. water
1 can of diced green chilis
10 oz. can of enchilada sauce
1 C. brown sugar
- Put the pork in a gallon-size freezer bag. Add two cans of Coke, 1/4 C. brown sugar. Marinate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Drain the marinade and put pork, garlic salt, and a can of Coke in a crock pot on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8 hours or until it shreds easily. Be careful to ensure that the pork does not get too dry.
- Remove pork from the crock pot and discard the remaining liquid. Shred pork.
- In a blender or food processor, blend 1/2 can of Coke chilis, enchilada sauce, and 3/4 C. brown sugar ( You are welcome to add a little more depending on how sweet you like it.)
- Put shredded pork back into the crock pot and pour blended sauce over the top. Mix well. If the sauce is too thick, add Coke a little at a time to thin. Heat through.
This pork freezes well, so you can make a little extra and freeze for a busy day!
For the salad: (Makes 1 salad)
2-3 C romaine lettuce
1/2 C. cooked rice
1/2 C. cooked pinto or black beans (if using canned beans, rinse well)
3/4 C. of sweet pork
1/2 C. pico de guillo
1/2 C. Guacamole
2 tbsp. cheese
1 lime wedge
Tomatillo Dressing of choice
On a plate or larger bowl, layer a tortilla, cooked rice, beans of choice, pork, and lettuce. Top with pico de guillo, guacamole, cotija cheese, lime, tortilla strips, sour cream, cilantro, and tomatillo dressing.