Fall is a perfect time for this delightful and comforting soup. Fix enough for another night, freeze, and have an easy and quick way to get dinner on the table.
3 lbs. (approx 12) Roma tomatoes
1/2 C. olive oil
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 medium onions, chopped
3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
4 C. chicken stock
1 C. fresh basil leaves chopped or 3 Tbsp. of dried
1 C. heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the 3 lbs fresh tomatoes (thickly sliced), ¼ cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread tomatoes across a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 45-50 minutes. Set aside.
- To a large pot, add 1/4 C. olive oil, and 2 tbsp. butter. Add onions and saute for 7-8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir together until fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Stir together.
- Add oven-roasted tomatoes and stir together. Bring soup to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 mins. Cover partially with lid to reduce splatters.
- After the soup simmers, pour the soup into a blender. Be careful not to overfill as this may cause damage to the blender due to heat. Blend until the desired consistency.
- Return the blended soup (strain if desired for seeds) to the large pot and add the heavy cream.
- Heat through and serve!
To freeze soup:
Place soup in ice cube trays and freeze until solid. Then place them in a gallon-sized freezer bag to store. Place cubes in a pot to reheat.